Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote!

It may have taken us 2 hours, half of that in the cold, but we did it. Our greatest privilege and responsibility as citizens. The line grew so long that people exiting often stopped and exclaimed at it wrapping around the block. Exclamations heard: "Land sakes!" and "OMG [as literally oh-em-gee]" and "Oh my goodness..." and "You poor people!" and of course "Holy shit!". Yes, we are the hardy, the determined, the voters. And our voting location was on Brooklyn's old Ebbett's Field. Standing on history.

The line outside

 


Believe it or not, paper ballots. I don't think I've had to fill in a circle in decades.

 

 A celebratory Egg McMuffin


No matter what the outcome I breathe deep and try to remember how lucky I feel to be part of a democratic process. And that no matter what the outcome the earth will still be here tomorrow, 4 years from now, 8 years from now. Heck, even after people are gone. That makes me feel good.

Though I would like us to explore space.


Photos by moi, sorry for blurry iPhone-ness

p.s. If you want to know even more about why I feel lucky to be part of a democracy you can read my father Spencer Weart's history book Never at War: Why Democracies Will Not Fight One Another. I spent the 90's listening to story after story about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment