Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Post Mother's Day Mothering Part II

The second perfect children's book



The other day I idly thought about that famous question, what do you think are the top five books of all time? Or which five books would you take to a deserted island? Or what are your favorite five books? Those questions actually all have slightly different answers—some of the books I would take to a deserted island I do not think qualify for the canon of literature for all time. Some of my favorite books I wouldn't take to a deserted island, because I do not want to re-read them to death. I take hypotheticals very seriously.

But I decided that in each of those categories I would put Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (mentioned before), but now I'm wondering if I should also put in Goodnight Moon. It is perfect. It is dreamy. I would love to read it to myself and my son every night before his bedtime, if only he wouldn't grab for the pages and try to rip them out in his desire to learn how to flip pages. How could I have forgotten the last few pages?

Goodnight nobody
Goodnight mush
And goodnight to the old lady
whispering "hush"
Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere


Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd

No comments:

Post a Comment