Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It rhymes so it must be good

Image from The Caramel Jar

Fleur de sel caramels. Fleur de sel caramels. Fleur de sel. Car-a-mel.

Once when I was upstate in Beacon, NY I saw these little caramels dusted with grey sea salt, and I wanted them so badly. It was $10 for a candy-bar-sized amount, so I pooh-poohed it and walked away. And you know what? For some reason, I don't know why, I have regretted it ever since. Because despite living in NYC and going to some fancy food shops I just haven't run across those specific beautiful nibs.

I don't know why they occurred to me recently. Perhaps because I was in one of the fancy food shops buying some gifts for the family, and once again glanced around to only have my hopes dashed. So I did a quick google search and there are tons of amazing looking recipes out there. And then I came across some Etsy sites that offer batches of them, even can be used for wedding favors. BRILLIANT.

But mostly I just wish I had time to make these for the holiday season. Here's a recipe on Epicurious that has dozens of positive reviews. Someday. Yes, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment